First Case of Coronavirus Reported on Incheon Global Campus in Songdo

Incheon Global Campus (IGC) is located in Songdo, Incheon, South Korea. Four different universities: State University of New York Korea, Ghent University Global Campus, George Mason University Korea and University of Utah Asia Campus constitute IGC to enhance diversity in campus. (Photo courtesy: igc.or.kr)

By SongdoChronicle

Incheon Global Campus (IGC) is located in Songdo, Incheon, South Korea. It accommodates four different universities: State University of New York Korea, Ghent University Global Campus, George Mason University Korea and University of Utah Asia Campus. (Photo courtesy: igc.or.kr)

SONGDO- A student of Incheon Global Campus who returned from the United States on Friday, April 10, has tested positive for the Coronavirus.

The individual who tested positive used private transportation from Incheon International Airport to IGC campus late on Friday. The unnamed student was only in the student dormitories, specifically Dorm A and the quarantine room in Dorm B.

As at Saturday April 12, the individual was relocated to a medical facility where they are receiving appropriate care.

On Saturday also, at 9:30 am Dorms A and B, particularly affected areas of the campus were disinfected by the Yeonsu-gu Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters.

The affected individual was not in any faculty housing, library, cafeteria, the Utah building or any other building or facility on campus.

For those living in the halls, IGC Foundation Housing Office ask that you remain where you are until further notice.  Please do not leave the building until the COVID-19 team provides the all-clear through the campus intercommunication system.

Please contact University of Utah Asia Campus Dean of Students Affairs- Dr. Randy McCrillis at 032-626-6006 with any questions or concerns.

COVID-19 first began in Wuhan city in Hubei Province in the People’s Republic of China. More than 3,300 lives were lost in China between December 2019 and March 2020.

Outside China, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan were the first Asian countries to experience the spread of the deadly virus that is similar to flu but more dangerous than Ebola and SARS.

Although all countries in Asia, the Middle East and Africa have been affected by the global pandemic, described as the worst public health crisis of the century, Europe and the United States have now become the epic center of COVID-19.

In the United States alone, more than 20,000 Americans have lost their lives to the virus. In Italy, 19,000; Spain 15,000, France 13,000 and Britain 10,000. The global death toll according to John Hopkins University research is over 110,000!

As scientists and researchers race towards finding a vaccine or cure for the deadly virus, the World Health Organization (WHO) warn that preventive measures such as a social distancing, wearing face masks, using hand sanitizers and proper washing of our hands can mean the difference between life and death.